|By PR Newswire||
|February 20, 2014 07:54 AM EST||
LONDON, Feb. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
Smart City Projects Underline the Role of ICT in European Initiatives
The deployment of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe. This is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels. Initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, infrastructure and platforms for open cities, citizen involvement, and public administration services. This document aims to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
Research Objectives, Scope, and Methodology
• This presentation is a selection of Information-and-communication-technologies-led smart city initiatives across Europe, intended to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
• Deeper analysis of the above-mentioned projects and strategic recommendations will be provided in the next series of market insights on the role of ICT in smart cities.
• Citizens and User Involvement
• Public Administration
• Mixed Zone
• Infrastructure and Platforms
• Energy and Water Efficiency
• Secondary research: project- dedicated Web sites, European Commission information services, project partners Web sites.
• The deployment of ICT for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe; this is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels.
• The vast majority of initiatives is co-funded by the European Union (ICT Policy Support Programme and 7th Framework Programme), yet there is no clear business model for the uptake of smart cities.
• Projects are carried out in the form of collaborative network established between the research community, businesses, the public sector, citizens and the wider community, and they foster an open innovation approach.
• Technologies such as smart metering, wireless sensor networks, open platforms, high-speed broadband and cloud computing are key building blocks of the smart city infrastructure.
• The vast majority of the initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, and infrastructure and platforms for open cities.
• Energy and water efficiency projects focus on the deployment of energy management systems in public buildings, water measurement and control, integration of renewable energies, and intelligent street lighting in public areas.
• Mobility projects include Intelligent Transport Systems (eco-navigation traffic signal control systems, parking guidance and information systems, efficient passing of intersections), charging infrastructure for electric vehicles, and traffic and travel Web-based services.
• Projects around infrastructure and platforms deliver open source, common development toolkits for the creation of various smart city services and applications, and foster high-speed Internet access (fibre, cellular wireless and satellite).
• Other project areas cover citizens and user involvement, and focus on two aspects: user engagement in the co-decision on smart city services (crowdsourcing and co-development of mobile apps) and eInclusion (integration with local communities and facilitating lives of elderly and dependant people).
• Finally, projects around the public administration domain, seek to explore multichannel, easily accessible eGovernment services.
Smartcity Málaga (Project of Málaga Living Lab)
• Participating Cities: Málaga (Spain)
• Total Project Cost: € million
• Timeline: Launched in 2009
• Project Scope: To offer integrated energy solutions that will help sustainable energy use and reduce the impact of CO2 emissions, in line with EU's 20-20-20 Plan; it was achieved through the installation of smart metering, photovoltaic panels on public buildings, use of micro solar and wind power generation systems. In addition, renewable energy storage systems were deployed and a small fleet of eVehicles with charging infrastructure. A number of street lights have been equipped with energy-efficient technologies (e.g., LED and halogen lighting). The project serves as a testing ground for Enel's smart grid development.
Advanced automation systems have been installed in more than X transformer centres, and X centres are linked through a broadband powerline communications (PLC) network which connects all points of the electricity grid to the Network Control Centre where these assets are monitored.
Smartcity Málaga is promoted and coordinated by Endesa SA in partnership with Enel S.p.A., the project involves a consortium of Xorganisations, including X businesses,X public bodies and X universities and research institutions as well as an entire neighbourhood of the Andalucian city of Playa de La Misericordia.
Smartspaces—Saving Energy in Europe's Public Buildings Using ICT
• Participating Cities: Milan (Italy), Birmingham, Bristol, Leicester (UK), Istanbul (Turkey), Belgrade (Serbia), Hagen (Germany), Lleida, Murcia (Spain), Venlo (The Netherlands) and Moulins (France)
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under the Information and Communication Technologies Policy Support Programme (CIP ICT-PSP)
• Timeline: 2012–2015
• Project Scope: Application of ICT-based energy management services and energy decision support and awareness services in public buildings in Europe to improve energy efficiency.
Key ICT components include metering infrastructure (e.g., electricity, heating, water, temperature, humidity, wind and gas meters), communication equipment, data servers and appliances.
The consortium comprises empirica (coordinator); Beogradske elektrane; Belit d.o.o; The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering University, Belgrade; Birmingham City Council; Bristol City Council; SystemsLink; the City of Hagen; envi Engineer and Consulting Company GmbH; Istanbul Sports Events Inc.; Leicester Energy Agency (LEA); De Montfort University; Lleida Energy Agency; International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering; RSM Gasso; Milan City Council; Cisco; BT; the Town of Moulins; Moulins Habitat; EDF Optimal Solutions; Real Project Partner; Lyonnaise des Eaux; Agencia Local de Energía y Cambio Climático de Murcia (ALEM); and the City of Venlo.
• Participating Countries: Spain, Germany, Bulgaria
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under CIP-ICT-PSP.2009.4.1
• Timeline: 2010–2013
• Project Scope: Piloting in several social housing buildings energy management solutions to build interaction between smart devices and tenants to make them aware of their energy use; this is achieved through real-time monitoring and management of energy consumption, integration of renewable energies and building tools for designing savings plans.
All pilots deploy energy management system comprise the following elements: wireless water meters, electricity and heating consumption, data storage servers and databases, software for data processing and data visualisation platforms for end users.
The consortium consists of Gas Natural Fenosa (coordinator); Indra (Spanish IT company); Promusa (private municipal house development company); Ennovatis GMBH (energy management systems); Bulgarian Housing Association; Bristol City Council; Knowle West Media Centre (charity company); IP-Performance LTD and Toshiba Research Europe Ltd.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Energy and Water Efficiency
4. Infrastructure and Platforms
5. Citizens and User Involvement
6. Public Administration
8. Mixed Zone
9. The Frost & Sullivan Story
Read the full report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
For more information:
Research Advisor at Reportbuyer.com
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 208 816 85 48
There are lots of challenges in IoT around secure, scalable and business friendly infrastructure for enterprises. For large corporations, IoT implementations are one of the top priorities of the decade. All industries are seeing a competitive need to sustain by investing in IoT initiatives. The value addition comes from improved customer service, innovative product and additional revenue streams. The data from these IP-connected devices can be leveraged for a variety of business applications as well as responsive action controls. The various architectural building blocks of an IoT ...
Apr. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT
Dave will share his insights on how Internet of Things for Enterprises are transforming and making more productive and efficient operations and maintenance (O&M) procedures in the cleantech industry and beyond. Speaker Bio: Dave Landa is chief operating officer of Cybozu Corp (kintone US). Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Dave has been on the forefront of the Cloud revolution driving strategic business development on the executive teams of multiple leading Software as a Services (SaaS) application providers dating back to 2004. Cybozu's kintone.com is a leading global BYOA (Build Your O...
Apr. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,579
WebRTC is an up-and-coming standard that enables real-time voice and video to be directly embedded into browsers making the browser a primary user interface for communications and collaboration. WebRTC runs in a number of browsers today and is currently supported in over a billion installed browsers globally, across a range of platform OS and devices. Today, organizations that choose to deploy WebRTC applications and use a host machine that supports audio through USB or Bluetooth can use Plantronics products to connect and transit or receive the audio associated with the WebRTC session.
Apr. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,913
As enterprises move to all-IP networks and cloud-based applications, communications service providers (CSPs) – facing increased competition from over-the-top providers delivering content via the Internet and independently of CSPs – must be able to offer seamless cloud-based communication and collaboration solutions that can scale for small, midsize, and large enterprises, as well as public sector organizations, in order to keep and grow market share. The latest version of Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite gives CSPs the capability to do just that. In addition, its integration ...
Apr. 27, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,429
Chuck Piluso will present a study of cloud adoption trends and the power and flexibility of IBM Power and Pureflex cloud solutions. Speaker Bio: Prior to Data Storage Corporation (DSC), Mr. Piluso founded North American Telecommunication Corporation, a facilities-based Competitive Local Exchange Carrier licensed by the Public Service Commission in 10 states, serving as the company's chairman and president from 1997 to 2000. Between 1990 and 1997, Mr. Piluso served as chairman & founder of International Telecommunications Corporation, a facilities-based international carrier licensed by t...
Apr. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EDT
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquired by Aditi Technologies. He is a Microsoft Regional Director for Hyderabad, India, and one of the f...
Apr. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,678
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Apr. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,329
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy at GENBAND, will explore what is needed to take a real time communications ...
Apr. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,801
How is unified communications transforming the way businesses operate? In his session at WebRTC Summit, Arvind Rangarajan, Director of Product Marketing at BroadSoft, will discuss how to extend unified communications experience outside the enterprise through WebRTC. He will also review use cases across different industry verticals. Arvind Rangarajan is Director, Product Marketing at BroadSoft. He has over 19 years of experience in the telecommunications industry in various roles such as Software Development, Product Management and Product Marketing, applied across Wireless, Unified Communic...
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,729
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and easy to use. MangoApps has been named a "Market Leader" by Ovum Research and a "Cool Vendor" by Gartner...
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,591
SYS-CON Media announced today that @ThingsExpo Blog launched with 7,788 original stories. @ThingsExpo Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @ThingsExpo Blog can be bookmarked. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,573
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,117
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,105
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,892
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting wearables as fashion accessories and moving away from the original clunky technology associated with t...
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,117
SYS-CON Events announced today that Litmus Automation will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Litmus Automation’s vision is to provide a solution for companies that are in a rush to embrace the disruptive Internet of Things technology and leverage it for real business challenges. Litmus Automation simplifies the complexity of connected devices applications with Loop, a secure and scalable cloud platform.
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,758
In 2015, 4.9 billion connected "things" will be in use. By 2020, Gartner forecasts this amount to be 25 billion, a 410 percent increase in just five years. How will businesses handle this rapid growth of data? Hadoop will continue to improve its technology to meet business demands, by enabling businesses to access/analyze data in real time, when and where they need it. Cloudera's Chief Technologist, Eli Collins, will discuss how Big Data is keeping up with today's data demands and how in the future, data and analytics will be pervasive, embedded into every workflow, application and infra...
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,478
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,181
As Marc Andreessen says software is eating the world. Everything is rapidly moving toward being software-defined – from our phones and cars through our washing machines to the datacenter. However, there are larger challenges when implementing software defined on a larger scale - when building software defined infrastructure. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Boyan Ivanov, CEO of StorPool, will provide some practical insights on what, how and why when implementing "software-defined" in the datacenter.
Apr. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,633
So I guess we’ve officially entered a new era of lean and mean. I say this with the announcement of Ubuntu Snappy Core, “designed for lightweight cloud container hosts running Docker and for smart devices,” according to Canonical. “Snappy Ubuntu Core is the smallest Ubuntu available, designed for security and efficiency in devices or on the cloud.” This first version of Snappy Ubuntu Core features secure app containment and Docker 1.6 (1.5 in main release), is available on public clouds, and for ARM and x86 devices on several IoT boards. It’s a Trend! This announcement comes just as...
Apr. 27, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,434