|By PR Newswire||
|February 20, 2014 07:54 AM EST||
LONDON, Feb. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
Smart City Projects Underline the Role of ICT in European Initiatives
The deployment of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe. This is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels. Initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, infrastructure and platforms for open cities, citizen involvement, and public administration services. This document aims to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
Research Objectives, Scope, and Methodology
• This presentation is a selection of Information-and-communication-technologies-led smart city initiatives across Europe, intended to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
• Deeper analysis of the above-mentioned projects and strategic recommendations will be provided in the next series of market insights on the role of ICT in smart cities.
• Citizens and User Involvement
• Public Administration
• Mixed Zone
• Infrastructure and Platforms
• Energy and Water Efficiency
• Secondary research: project- dedicated Web sites, European Commission information services, project partners Web sites.
• The deployment of ICT for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe; this is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels.
• The vast majority of initiatives is co-funded by the European Union (ICT Policy Support Programme and 7th Framework Programme), yet there is no clear business model for the uptake of smart cities.
• Projects are carried out in the form of collaborative network established between the research community, businesses, the public sector, citizens and the wider community, and they foster an open innovation approach.
• Technologies such as smart metering, wireless sensor networks, open platforms, high-speed broadband and cloud computing are key building blocks of the smart city infrastructure.
• The vast majority of the initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, and infrastructure and platforms for open cities.
• Energy and water efficiency projects focus on the deployment of energy management systems in public buildings, water measurement and control, integration of renewable energies, and intelligent street lighting in public areas.
• Mobility projects include Intelligent Transport Systems (eco-navigation traffic signal control systems, parking guidance and information systems, efficient passing of intersections), charging infrastructure for electric vehicles, and traffic and travel Web-based services.
• Projects around infrastructure and platforms deliver open source, common development toolkits for the creation of various smart city services and applications, and foster high-speed Internet access (fibre, cellular wireless and satellite).
• Other project areas cover citizens and user involvement, and focus on two aspects: user engagement in the co-decision on smart city services (crowdsourcing and co-development of mobile apps) and eInclusion (integration with local communities and facilitating lives of elderly and dependant people).
• Finally, projects around the public administration domain, seek to explore multichannel, easily accessible eGovernment services.
Smartcity Málaga (Project of Málaga Living Lab)
• Participating Cities: Málaga (Spain)
• Total Project Cost: € million
• Timeline: Launched in 2009
• Project Scope: To offer integrated energy solutions that will help sustainable energy use and reduce the impact of CO2 emissions, in line with EU's 20-20-20 Plan; it was achieved through the installation of smart metering, photovoltaic panels on public buildings, use of micro solar and wind power generation systems. In addition, renewable energy storage systems were deployed and a small fleet of eVehicles with charging infrastructure. A number of street lights have been equipped with energy-efficient technologies (e.g., LED and halogen lighting). The project serves as a testing ground for Enel's smart grid development.
Advanced automation systems have been installed in more than X transformer centres, and X centres are linked through a broadband powerline communications (PLC) network which connects all points of the electricity grid to the Network Control Centre where these assets are monitored.
Smartcity Málaga is promoted and coordinated by Endesa SA in partnership with Enel S.p.A., the project involves a consortium of Xorganisations, including X businesses,X public bodies and X universities and research institutions as well as an entire neighbourhood of the Andalucian city of Playa de La Misericordia.
Smartspaces—Saving Energy in Europe's Public Buildings Using ICT
• Participating Cities: Milan (Italy), Birmingham, Bristol, Leicester (UK), Istanbul (Turkey), Belgrade (Serbia), Hagen (Germany), Lleida, Murcia (Spain), Venlo (The Netherlands) and Moulins (France)
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under the Information and Communication Technologies Policy Support Programme (CIP ICT-PSP)
• Timeline: 2012–2015
• Project Scope: Application of ICT-based energy management services and energy decision support and awareness services in public buildings in Europe to improve energy efficiency.
Key ICT components include metering infrastructure (e.g., electricity, heating, water, temperature, humidity, wind and gas meters), communication equipment, data servers and appliances.
The consortium comprises empirica (coordinator); Beogradske elektrane; Belit d.o.o; The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering University, Belgrade; Birmingham City Council; Bristol City Council; SystemsLink; the City of Hagen; envi Engineer and Consulting Company GmbH; Istanbul Sports Events Inc.; Leicester Energy Agency (LEA); De Montfort University; Lleida Energy Agency; International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering; RSM Gasso; Milan City Council; Cisco; BT; the Town of Moulins; Moulins Habitat; EDF Optimal Solutions; Real Project Partner; Lyonnaise des Eaux; Agencia Local de Energía y Cambio Climático de Murcia (ALEM); and the City of Venlo.
• Participating Countries: Spain, Germany, Bulgaria
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under CIP-ICT-PSP.2009.4.1
• Timeline: 2010–2013
• Project Scope: Piloting in several social housing buildings energy management solutions to build interaction between smart devices and tenants to make them aware of their energy use; this is achieved through real-time monitoring and management of energy consumption, integration of renewable energies and building tools for designing savings plans.
All pilots deploy energy management system comprise the following elements: wireless water meters, electricity and heating consumption, data storage servers and databases, software for data processing and data visualisation platforms for end users.
The consortium consists of Gas Natural Fenosa (coordinator); Indra (Spanish IT company); Promusa (private municipal house development company); Ennovatis GMBH (energy management systems); Bulgarian Housing Association; Bristol City Council; Knowle West Media Centre (charity company); IP-Performance LTD and Toshiba Research Europe Ltd.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Energy and Water Efficiency
4. Infrastructure and Platforms
5. Citizens and User Involvement
6. Public Administration
8. Mixed Zone
9. The Frost & Sullivan Story
Read the full report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
For more information:
Research Advisor at Reportbuyer.com
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 208 816 85 48
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 692
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,089
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,256
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,092
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,315
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,040
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 26, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,024
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 26, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 543
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 696
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,555
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 25, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 892
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 25, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,233
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 25, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,181
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 25, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,202
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,266
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 902
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,339
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,606
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,358
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,249