|By PR Newswire||
|February 20, 2014 07:54 AM EST||
LONDON, Feb. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
Smart City Projects Underline the Role of ICT in European Initiatives
The deployment of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe. This is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels. Initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, infrastructure and platforms for open cities, citizen involvement, and public administration services. This document aims to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
Research Objectives, Scope, and Methodology
• This presentation is a selection of Information-and-communication-technologies-led smart city initiatives across Europe, intended to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
• Deeper analysis of the above-mentioned projects and strategic recommendations will be provided in the next series of market insights on the role of ICT in smart cities.
• Citizens and User Involvement
• Public Administration
• Mixed Zone
• Infrastructure and Platforms
• Energy and Water Efficiency
• Secondary research: project- dedicated Web sites, European Commission information services, project partners Web sites.
• The deployment of ICT for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe; this is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels.
• The vast majority of initiatives is co-funded by the European Union (ICT Policy Support Programme and 7th Framework Programme), yet there is no clear business model for the uptake of smart cities.
• Projects are carried out in the form of collaborative network established between the research community, businesses, the public sector, citizens and the wider community, and they foster an open innovation approach.
• Technologies such as smart metering, wireless sensor networks, open platforms, high-speed broadband and cloud computing are key building blocks of the smart city infrastructure.
• The vast majority of the initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, and infrastructure and platforms for open cities.
• Energy and water efficiency projects focus on the deployment of energy management systems in public buildings, water measurement and control, integration of renewable energies, and intelligent street lighting in public areas.
• Mobility projects include Intelligent Transport Systems (eco-navigation traffic signal control systems, parking guidance and information systems, efficient passing of intersections), charging infrastructure for electric vehicles, and traffic and travel Web-based services.
• Projects around infrastructure and platforms deliver open source, common development toolkits for the creation of various smart city services and applications, and foster high-speed Internet access (fibre, cellular wireless and satellite).
• Other project areas cover citizens and user involvement, and focus on two aspects: user engagement in the co-decision on smart city services (crowdsourcing and co-development of mobile apps) and eInclusion (integration with local communities and facilitating lives of elderly and dependant people).
• Finally, projects around the public administration domain, seek to explore multichannel, easily accessible eGovernment services.
Smartcity Málaga (Project of Málaga Living Lab)
• Participating Cities: Málaga (Spain)
• Total Project Cost: € million
• Timeline: Launched in 2009
• Project Scope: To offer integrated energy solutions that will help sustainable energy use and reduce the impact of CO2 emissions, in line with EU's 20-20-20 Plan; it was achieved through the installation of smart metering, photovoltaic panels on public buildings, use of micro solar and wind power generation systems. In addition, renewable energy storage systems were deployed and a small fleet of eVehicles with charging infrastructure. A number of street lights have been equipped with energy-efficient technologies (e.g., LED and halogen lighting). The project serves as a testing ground for Enel's smart grid development.
Advanced automation systems have been installed in more than X transformer centres, and X centres are linked through a broadband powerline communications (PLC) network which connects all points of the electricity grid to the Network Control Centre where these assets are monitored.
Smartcity Málaga is promoted and coordinated by Endesa SA in partnership with Enel S.p.A., the project involves a consortium of Xorganisations, including X businesses,X public bodies and X universities and research institutions as well as an entire neighbourhood of the Andalucian city of Playa de La Misericordia.
Smartspaces—Saving Energy in Europe's Public Buildings Using ICT
• Participating Cities: Milan (Italy), Birmingham, Bristol, Leicester (UK), Istanbul (Turkey), Belgrade (Serbia), Hagen (Germany), Lleida, Murcia (Spain), Venlo (The Netherlands) and Moulins (France)
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under the Information and Communication Technologies Policy Support Programme (CIP ICT-PSP)
• Timeline: 2012–2015
• Project Scope: Application of ICT-based energy management services and energy decision support and awareness services in public buildings in Europe to improve energy efficiency.
Key ICT components include metering infrastructure (e.g., electricity, heating, water, temperature, humidity, wind and gas meters), communication equipment, data servers and appliances.
The consortium comprises empirica (coordinator); Beogradske elektrane; Belit d.o.o; The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering University, Belgrade; Birmingham City Council; Bristol City Council; SystemsLink; the City of Hagen; envi Engineer and Consulting Company GmbH; Istanbul Sports Events Inc.; Leicester Energy Agency (LEA); De Montfort University; Lleida Energy Agency; International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering; RSM Gasso; Milan City Council; Cisco; BT; the Town of Moulins; Moulins Habitat; EDF Optimal Solutions; Real Project Partner; Lyonnaise des Eaux; Agencia Local de Energía y Cambio Climático de Murcia (ALEM); and the City of Venlo.
• Participating Countries: Spain, Germany, Bulgaria
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under CIP-ICT-PSP.2009.4.1
• Timeline: 2010–2013
• Project Scope: Piloting in several social housing buildings energy management solutions to build interaction between smart devices and tenants to make them aware of their energy use; this is achieved through real-time monitoring and management of energy consumption, integration of renewable energies and building tools for designing savings plans.
All pilots deploy energy management system comprise the following elements: wireless water meters, electricity and heating consumption, data storage servers and databases, software for data processing and data visualisation platforms for end users.
The consortium consists of Gas Natural Fenosa (coordinator); Indra (Spanish IT company); Promusa (private municipal house development company); Ennovatis GMBH (energy management systems); Bulgarian Housing Association; Bristol City Council; Knowle West Media Centre (charity company); IP-Performance LTD and Toshiba Research Europe Ltd.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Energy and Water Efficiency
4. Infrastructure and Platforms
5. Citizens and User Involvement
6. Public Administration
8. Mixed Zone
9. The Frost & Sullivan Story
Read the full report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
For more information:
Research Advisor at Reportbuyer.com
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 208 816 85 48
"We have a tagline - "Power in the API Economy." What that means is everything that is built in applications and connected applications is done through APIs," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at Akana, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 1, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 802
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of profound change in the industry.
Jul. 1, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,047
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems, described how to revolutionize your archit...
Jul. 1, 2015 02:21 PM EDT Reads: 569
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world and it starts with business models and monetization strategies.
Jul. 1, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,242
To many people, IoT is a buzzword whose value is not understood. Many people think IoT is all about wearables and home automation. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed some incredible game-changing use cases and how they are transforming industries like agriculture, manufacturing, health care, and smart cities. He will discuss cool technologies like smart dust, robotics, smart labels, and much more. Prepare to be blown away with a glimpse of the future.
Jul. 1, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 788
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jul. 1, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,131
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, discussed how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at the same time reduce Time to Market (TTM) by using plug and play capabilities offered by a robust IoT ...
Jul. 1, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,946
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, will explore the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving this change including privacy controls, data transparency and integration of real time context wi...
Jul. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 935
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BMC delivers software solutions that help IT transform digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive business advantage. BMC has worked with thousands of leading companies to create and deliver powerful IT management services. From mainframe to cloud to mobile, BMC pairs high-speed digital innovation with robust IT industrialization – allowing customers to provide amazing user experiences with optimized IT per...
Jun. 29, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,702
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not the disruptee.
Jun. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,191
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will addresses this very serious issue of profound change in the industry.
Jun. 29, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,542
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a "Make or Buy" decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud business applications and services across multiple cloud delivery models.
Jun. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,241
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Jun. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,261
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud environment, and we must architect and code accordingly. At the very least, you'll have no problem fillin...
Jun. 26, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,251
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, d...
Jun. 26, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,127
Converging digital disruptions is creating a major sea change - Cisco calls this the Internet of Everything (IoE). IoE is the network connection of People, Process, Data and Things, fueled by Cloud, Mobile, Social, Analytics and Security, and it represents a $19Trillion value-at-stake over the next 10 years. In her keynote at @ThingsExpo, Manjula Talreja, VP of Cisco Consulting Services, discussed IoE and the enormous opportunities it provides to public and private firms alike. She will share what businesses must do to thrive in the IoE economy, citing examples from several industry sectors.
Jun. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,040
In his keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Rodney Rogers, CEO of Virtustream, discussed the evolution of the company from inception to its recent acquisition by EMC – including personal insights, lessons learned (and some WTF moments) along the way. Learn how Virtustream’s unique approach of combining the economics and elasticity of the consumer cloud model with proper performance, application automation and security into a platform became a breakout success with enterprise customers and a natural fit for the EMC Federation.
Jun. 25, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,194
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Conference" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, Santa Clara, CA, and the “Third Containers & Microservices Conference” will take place June 7-9, 2016, at Javits Center in New York City. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Jun. 22, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,837
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "First Containers & Microservices Conference" will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. The “Second Containers & Microservices Conference” will take place November 3-5, 2015, at Santa Clara Convention Center, Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Jun. 20, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,906
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
Jun. 15, 2015 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,159