|By PR Newswire||
|February 20, 2014 07:54 AM EST||
LONDON, Feb. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
Smart City Projects Underline the Role of ICT in European Initiatives
The deployment of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe. This is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels. Initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, infrastructure and platforms for open cities, citizen involvement, and public administration services. This document aims to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
Research Objectives, Scope, and Methodology
• This presentation is a selection of Information-and-communication-technologies-led smart city initiatives across Europe, intended to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
• Deeper analysis of the above-mentioned projects and strategic recommendations will be provided in the next series of market insights on the role of ICT in smart cities.
• Citizens and User Involvement
• Public Administration
• Mixed Zone
• Infrastructure and Platforms
• Energy and Water Efficiency
• Secondary research: project- dedicated Web sites, European Commission information services, project partners Web sites.
• The deployment of ICT for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe; this is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels.
• The vast majority of initiatives is co-funded by the European Union (ICT Policy Support Programme and 7th Framework Programme), yet there is no clear business model for the uptake of smart cities.
• Projects are carried out in the form of collaborative network established between the research community, businesses, the public sector, citizens and the wider community, and they foster an open innovation approach.
• Technologies such as smart metering, wireless sensor networks, open platforms, high-speed broadband and cloud computing are key building blocks of the smart city infrastructure.
• The vast majority of the initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, and infrastructure and platforms for open cities.
• Energy and water efficiency projects focus on the deployment of energy management systems in public buildings, water measurement and control, integration of renewable energies, and intelligent street lighting in public areas.
• Mobility projects include Intelligent Transport Systems (eco-navigation traffic signal control systems, parking guidance and information systems, efficient passing of intersections), charging infrastructure for electric vehicles, and traffic and travel Web-based services.
• Projects around infrastructure and platforms deliver open source, common development toolkits for the creation of various smart city services and applications, and foster high-speed Internet access (fibre, cellular wireless and satellite).
• Other project areas cover citizens and user involvement, and focus on two aspects: user engagement in the co-decision on smart city services (crowdsourcing and co-development of mobile apps) and eInclusion (integration with local communities and facilitating lives of elderly and dependant people).
• Finally, projects around the public administration domain, seek to explore multichannel, easily accessible eGovernment services.
Smartcity Málaga (Project of Málaga Living Lab)
• Participating Cities: Málaga (Spain)
• Total Project Cost: € million
• Timeline: Launched in 2009
• Project Scope: To offer integrated energy solutions that will help sustainable energy use and reduce the impact of CO2 emissions, in line with EU's 20-20-20 Plan; it was achieved through the installation of smart metering, photovoltaic panels on public buildings, use of micro solar and wind power generation systems. In addition, renewable energy storage systems were deployed and a small fleet of eVehicles with charging infrastructure. A number of street lights have been equipped with energy-efficient technologies (e.g., LED and halogen lighting). The project serves as a testing ground for Enel's smart grid development.
Advanced automation systems have been installed in more than X transformer centres, and X centres are linked through a broadband powerline communications (PLC) network which connects all points of the electricity grid to the Network Control Centre where these assets are monitored.
Smartcity Málaga is promoted and coordinated by Endesa SA in partnership with Enel S.p.A., the project involves a consortium of Xorganisations, including X businesses,X public bodies and X universities and research institutions as well as an entire neighbourhood of the Andalucian city of Playa de La Misericordia.
Smartspaces—Saving Energy in Europe's Public Buildings Using ICT
• Participating Cities: Milan (Italy), Birmingham, Bristol, Leicester (UK), Istanbul (Turkey), Belgrade (Serbia), Hagen (Germany), Lleida, Murcia (Spain), Venlo (The Netherlands) and Moulins (France)
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under the Information and Communication Technologies Policy Support Programme (CIP ICT-PSP)
• Timeline: 2012–2015
• Project Scope: Application of ICT-based energy management services and energy decision support and awareness services in public buildings in Europe to improve energy efficiency.
Key ICT components include metering infrastructure (e.g., electricity, heating, water, temperature, humidity, wind and gas meters), communication equipment, data servers and appliances.
The consortium comprises empirica (coordinator); Beogradske elektrane; Belit d.o.o; The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering University, Belgrade; Birmingham City Council; Bristol City Council; SystemsLink; the City of Hagen; envi Engineer and Consulting Company GmbH; Istanbul Sports Events Inc.; Leicester Energy Agency (LEA); De Montfort University; Lleida Energy Agency; International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering; RSM Gasso; Milan City Council; Cisco; BT; the Town of Moulins; Moulins Habitat; EDF Optimal Solutions; Real Project Partner; Lyonnaise des Eaux; Agencia Local de Energía y Cambio Climático de Murcia (ALEM); and the City of Venlo.
• Participating Countries: Spain, Germany, Bulgaria
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under CIP-ICT-PSP.2009.4.1
• Timeline: 2010–2013
• Project Scope: Piloting in several social housing buildings energy management solutions to build interaction between smart devices and tenants to make them aware of their energy use; this is achieved through real-time monitoring and management of energy consumption, integration of renewable energies and building tools for designing savings plans.
All pilots deploy energy management system comprise the following elements: wireless water meters, electricity and heating consumption, data storage servers and databases, software for data processing and data visualisation platforms for end users.
The consortium consists of Gas Natural Fenosa (coordinator); Indra (Spanish IT company); Promusa (private municipal house development company); Ennovatis GMBH (energy management systems); Bulgarian Housing Association; Bristol City Council; Knowle West Media Centre (charity company); IP-Performance LTD and Toshiba Research Europe Ltd.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Energy and Water Efficiency
4. Infrastructure and Platforms
5. Citizens and User Involvement
6. Public Administration
8. Mixed Zone
9. The Frost & Sullivan Story
Read the full report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
For more information:
Research Advisor at Reportbuyer.com
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 208 816 85 48
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 24, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,556
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,483
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 24, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,411
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 24, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,013
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,178
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,624
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,670
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,470
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 730
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 738
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,015
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 24, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,451
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 24, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,714
IoT is fundamentally transforming the auto industry, turning the vehicle into a hub for connected services, including safety, infotainment and usage-based insurance. Auto manufacturers – and businesses across all verticals – have built an entire ecosystem around the Connected Car, creating new customer touch points and revenue streams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Macario Namie, Head of IoT Strategy at Cisco Jasper, will share real-world examples of how IoT transforms the car from a static p...
Sep. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,457
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 24, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 891
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 749
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,516
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,759
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 24, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,463
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 24, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,312