|By PR Newswire||
|February 20, 2014 07:54 AM EST||
LONDON, Feb. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
Smart City Projects Underline the Role of ICT in European Initiatives
The deployment of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe. This is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels. Initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, infrastructure and platforms for open cities, citizen involvement, and public administration services. This document aims to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
Research Objectives, Scope, and Methodology
• This presentation is a selection of Information-and-communication-technologies-led smart city initiatives across Europe, intended to give an overview of key areas of smart city developments.
• Deeper analysis of the above-mentioned projects and strategic recommendations will be provided in the next series of market insights on the role of ICT in smart cities.
• Citizens and User Involvement
• Public Administration
• Mixed Zone
• Infrastructure and Platforms
• Energy and Water Efficiency
• Secondary research: project- dedicated Web sites, European Commission information services, project partners Web sites.
• The deployment of ICT for the creation of smart cities is gaining a strong momentum in Europe; this is accentuated by the numerous pilot projects running at the regional, country and EU levels.
• The vast majority of initiatives is co-funded by the European Union (ICT Policy Support Programme and 7th Framework Programme), yet there is no clear business model for the uptake of smart cities.
• Projects are carried out in the form of collaborative network established between the research community, businesses, the public sector, citizens and the wider community, and they foster an open innovation approach.
• Technologies such as smart metering, wireless sensor networks, open platforms, high-speed broadband and cloud computing are key building blocks of the smart city infrastructure.
• The vast majority of the initiatives revolve around energy and water efficiency, mobility, and infrastructure and platforms for open cities.
• Energy and water efficiency projects focus on the deployment of energy management systems in public buildings, water measurement and control, integration of renewable energies, and intelligent street lighting in public areas.
• Mobility projects include Intelligent Transport Systems (eco-navigation traffic signal control systems, parking guidance and information systems, efficient passing of intersections), charging infrastructure for electric vehicles, and traffic and travel Web-based services.
• Projects around infrastructure and platforms deliver open source, common development toolkits for the creation of various smart city services and applications, and foster high-speed Internet access (fibre, cellular wireless and satellite).
• Other project areas cover citizens and user involvement, and focus on two aspects: user engagement in the co-decision on smart city services (crowdsourcing and co-development of mobile apps) and eInclusion (integration with local communities and facilitating lives of elderly and dependant people).
• Finally, projects around the public administration domain, seek to explore multichannel, easily accessible eGovernment services.
Smartcity Málaga (Project of Málaga Living Lab)
• Participating Cities: Málaga (Spain)
• Total Project Cost: € million
• Timeline: Launched in 2009
• Project Scope: To offer integrated energy solutions that will help sustainable energy use and reduce the impact of CO2 emissions, in line with EU's 20-20-20 Plan; it was achieved through the installation of smart metering, photovoltaic panels on public buildings, use of micro solar and wind power generation systems. In addition, renewable energy storage systems were deployed and a small fleet of eVehicles with charging infrastructure. A number of street lights have been equipped with energy-efficient technologies (e.g., LED and halogen lighting). The project serves as a testing ground for Enel's smart grid development.
Advanced automation systems have been installed in more than X transformer centres, and X centres are linked through a broadband powerline communications (PLC) network which connects all points of the electricity grid to the Network Control Centre where these assets are monitored.
Smartcity Málaga is promoted and coordinated by Endesa SA in partnership with Enel S.p.A., the project involves a consortium of Xorganisations, including X businesses,X public bodies and X universities and research institutions as well as an entire neighbourhood of the Andalucian city of Playa de La Misericordia.
Smartspaces—Saving Energy in Europe's Public Buildings Using ICT
• Participating Cities: Milan (Italy), Birmingham, Bristol, Leicester (UK), Istanbul (Turkey), Belgrade (Serbia), Hagen (Germany), Lleida, Murcia (Spain), Venlo (The Netherlands) and Moulins (France)
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under the Information and Communication Technologies Policy Support Programme (CIP ICT-PSP)
• Timeline: 2012–2015
• Project Scope: Application of ICT-based energy management services and energy decision support and awareness services in public buildings in Europe to improve energy efficiency.
Key ICT components include metering infrastructure (e.g., electricity, heating, water, temperature, humidity, wind and gas meters), communication equipment, data servers and appliances.
The consortium comprises empirica (coordinator); Beogradske elektrane; Belit d.o.o; The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering University, Belgrade; Birmingham City Council; Bristol City Council; SystemsLink; the City of Hagen; envi Engineer and Consulting Company GmbH; Istanbul Sports Events Inc.; Leicester Energy Agency (LEA); De Montfort University; Lleida Energy Agency; International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering; RSM Gasso; Milan City Council; Cisco; BT; the Town of Moulins; Moulins Habitat; EDF Optimal Solutions; Real Project Partner; Lyonnaise des Eaux; Agencia Local de Energía y Cambio Climático de Murcia (ALEM); and the City of Venlo.
• Participating Countries: Spain, Germany, Bulgaria
• Total Project Cost: € million, of which € million was funded under CIP-ICT-PSP.2009.4.1
• Timeline: 2010–2013
• Project Scope: Piloting in several social housing buildings energy management solutions to build interaction between smart devices and tenants to make them aware of their energy use; this is achieved through real-time monitoring and management of energy consumption, integration of renewable energies and building tools for designing savings plans.
All pilots deploy energy management system comprise the following elements: wireless water meters, electricity and heating consumption, data storage servers and databases, software for data processing and data visualisation platforms for end users.
The consortium consists of Gas Natural Fenosa (coordinator); Indra (Spanish IT company); Promusa (private municipal house development company); Ennovatis GMBH (energy management systems); Bulgarian Housing Association; Bristol City Council; Knowle West Media Centre (charity company); IP-Performance LTD and Toshiba Research Europe Ltd.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Energy and Water Efficiency
4. Infrastructure and Platforms
5. Citizens and User Involvement
6. Public Administration
8. Mixed Zone
9. The Frost & Sullivan Story
Read the full report:
An Overview of European Smart City Developments
For more information:
Research Advisor at Reportbuyer.com
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 208 816 85 48
“The Internet of Things transforms the way organizations leverage machine data and gain insights from it,” noted Splunk’s CTO Snehal Antani, as Splunk announced accelerated momentum in Industrial Data and the IoT. The trend is driven by Splunk’s continued investment in its products and partner ecosystem as well as the creativity of customers and the flexibility to deploy Splunk IoT solutions as software, cloud services or in a hybrid environment. Customers are using Splunk® solutions to collect and correlate data from control systems, sensors, mobile devices and IT systems for a variety of Ind...
Oct. 4, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 551
As enterprises capture more and more data of all types – structured, semi-structured, and unstructured – data discovery requirements for business intelligence (BI), Big Data, and predictive analytics initiatives grow more complex. A company’s ability to become data-driven and compete on analytics depends on the speed with which it can provision their analytics applications with all relevant information. The task of finding data has traditionally resided with IT, but now organizations increasingly turn towards data source discovery tools to find the right data, in context, for business users, d...
Oct. 4, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 354
Clearly the way forward is to move to cloud be it bare metal, VMs or containers. One aspect of the current public clouds that is slowing this cloud migration is cloud lock-in. Every cloud vendor is trying to make it very difficult to move out once a customer has chosen their cloud. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Naveen Nimmu, CEO of Clouber, Inc., will advocate that making the inter-cloud migration as simple as changing airlines would help the entire industry to quickly adopt the cloud without worrying about any lock-in fears. In fact by having standard APIs for IaaS would help PaaS expl...
Oct. 4, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 370
Organizations already struggle with the simple collection of data resulting from the proliferation of IoT, lacking the right infrastructure to manage it. They can't only rely on the cloud to collect and utilize this data because many applications still require dedicated infrastructure for security, redundancy, performance, etc. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Emil Sayegh, CEO of Codero Hosting, will discuss how in order to resolve the inherent issues, companies need to combine dedicated and cloud solutions through hybrid hosting – a sustainable solution for the data required to manage I...
Oct. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 387
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
Oct. 4, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 532
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the cloud and the best price/performance value available. ProfitBricks was named one of the coolest Clo...
Oct. 4, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 693
Learn how IoT, cloud, social networks and last but not least, humans, can be integrated into a seamless integration of cooperative organisms both cybernetic and biological. This has been enabled by recent advances in IoT device capabilities, messaging frameworks, presence and collaboration services, where devices can share information and make independent and human assisted decisions based upon social status from other entities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Heydt, founder of Seamless Thingies, will discuss and demonstrate how devices and humans can be integrated from a simple clust...
Oct. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 602
Apps and devices shouldn't stop working when there's limited or no network connectivity. Learn how to bring data stored in a cloud database to the edge of the network (and back again) whenever an Internet connection is available. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate at IBM Cloud Data Services, will demonstrate techniques for replicating cloud databases with devices in order to build offline-first mobile or Internet of Things (IoT) apps that can provide a better, faster user experience, both offline and online. The focus of this talk will be on IBM Cloudant, Apa...
Oct. 4, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 343
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of streaming data in the cloud with an enterprise grade SLA. It features built-in integration with Azur...
Oct. 4, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 707
You have your devices and your data, but what about the rest of your Internet of Things story? Two popular classes of technologies that nicely handle the Big Data analytics for Internet of Things are Apache Hadoop and NoSQL. Hadoop is designed for parallelizing analytical work across many servers and is ideal for the massive data volumes you create with IoT devices. NoSQL databases such as Apache HBase are ideal for storing and retrieving IoT data as “time series data.”
Oct. 4, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 353
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Oct. 4, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 542
Mobile messaging has been a popular communication channel for more than 20 years. Finnish engineer Matti Makkonen invented the idea for SMS (Short Message Service) in 1984, making his vision a reality on December 3, 1992 by sending the first message ("Happy Christmas") from a PC to a cell phone. Since then, the technology has evolved immensely, from both a technology standpoint, and in our everyday uses for it. Originally used for person-to-person (P2P) communication, i.e., Sally sends a text message to Betty – mobile messaging now offers tremendous value to businesses for customer and empl...
Oct. 4, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 150
The broad selection of hardware, the rapid evolution of operating systems and the time-to-market for mobile apps has been so rapid that new challenges for developers and engineers arise every day. Security, testing, hosting, and other metrics have to be considered through the process. In his session at Big Data Expo, Walter Maguire, Chief Field Technologist, HP Big Data Group, at Hewlett-Packard, will discuss the challenges faced by developers and a composite Big Data applications builder, focusing on how to help solve the problems that developers are continuously battling.
Oct. 4, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 322
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a software development company, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software development company with representative offices in Atlanta (US), Sheffield (UK) and Würzburg (Germany); and development centers in Ukraine. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 150 developers, designers, quality assurance engineers, project manage...
Oct. 4, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 659
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Raxak has been named “Media & Session Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Raxak Protect automates security compliance across private and public clouds. Using the SaaS tool or managed service, developers can deploy cloud apps quickly, cost-effectively, and without error.
Oct. 3, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 572
Who are you? How do you introduce yourself? Do you use a name, or do you greet a friend by the last four digits of his social security number? Assuming you don’t, why are we content to associate our identity with 10 random digits assigned by our phone company? Identity is an issue that affects everyone, but as individuals we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ben Klang, Founder & President of Mojo Lingo, will discuss the impact of technology on identity. Should we federate, or not? How should identity be secured? Who owns the identity? How is identity ...
Oct. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 396
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgeniakhela will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgeniakhela is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional Social, Mobile and Cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dramatically improve productivity, reduce collaboration costs, and increase the overall enterprise value by bringing ...
Oct. 2, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 539
Sensors and effectors of IoT are solving problems in new ways, but small businesses have been slow to join the quantified world. They’ll need information from IoT using applications as varied as the businesses themselves. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Meike, Distinguished Engineer, Director of Technology Innovation at Intuit, will show how IoT manufacturers can use open standards, public APIs and custom apps to enable the Quantified Small Business. He will use a Raspberry Pi to connect sensors to web services, and cloud integration to connect accounting and data, providing a Bluetooth...
Oct. 2, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 337
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of technology leadership, Micron's memory solutions enable the world's most innovative computing, consumer,...
Oct. 2, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 553
Nowadays, a large number of sensors and devices are connected to the network. Leading-edge IoT technologies integrate various types of sensor data to create a new value for several business decision scenarios. The transparent cloud is a model of a new IoT emergence service platform. Many service providers store and access various types of sensor data in order to create and find out new business values by integrating such data.
Oct. 1, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 395