|By PR Newswire||
|February 25, 2013 12:59 PM EST||
PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Tweet It: Tis the season for festivals in @VisitPhilly's Center City neighborhoods and beyond: http://vstphl.ly/UMxW2P
Philadelphians love their festivals. Whether it's local artisans and craftspeople sharing their wares on Penn's Landing, a celebration of the fall season in Midtown Village, a traditional Yoruba-style street fair on South Street or a craft beer party on East Passyunk Avenue, there's always a reason to celebrate in neighborhoods in and around Center City. The following are some mark-the-calendar happenings for 2013:
Benjamin Franklin Parkway:
- For the third year running, the Philadelphia Science Festival will unleash 10 days of exploratory exhibitions, lectures, debates and hands-on activities on campuses, museums and other venues around the city, culminating with a family-friendly Science Carnival on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. April 18-28. philasciencefestival.org
- A signature event for The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Bug Fest is a weekend-long celebration of all things creepy, crawly and fluttery. Visitors can check out bug specimens both live and preserved, meet insect researchers and even sample some bug cuisine. August 11-12. (215) 299-1000, ansp.org
- Along with the blooming rhododendrons of spring comes the Rittenhouse Row Spring Festival, Walnut Street's annual fete with food, fashion, music and art, plus a slew of activities for kids. May 18. rittenhouserow.org
- James Joyce's masterwork Ulysses serves as the focal point of Bloomsday, and the Rosenbach Museum and Library hosts the Philadelphia outpost of a worldwide all-day festival for literary enthusiasts. June 16. (215) 732-1600, rosenbach.org
- Putting the spotlight on LGBT history and culture, Equality Forum brings together people from around the world for panel discussions, parties, art and theater events and a lively community fair. May 2-5. (215) 732-3378, equalityforum.com
- Philly's OutFest is the biggest National Coming Out Day event in the world, and with good reason—the street carnival features a sports area, family zone, craft market, live music, dance parties and much more. October 13. phillypride.org
- The already vibrant 13th Street takes on an autumnal glow at the annual Midtown Village Fall Festival, with a pop-up beer garden, live music, food from area restaurants, dunk tanks, more than 50 artists and crafters, DJs and even sumo wrestling. October 5. midtownvillage.org
Old City/Penn's Landing:
- Lovers of one-of-a-kind finds descend on the annual Spring Art Star Craft Bazaar, where the handmade goods include housewares, ceramics, clothing, art, paper goods and much more. The weekend-long sale at the Great Plaza at Penn's Landing is punctuated with live music, food and art demonstrations. May 11-12. artstarcraftbazaar.com
- Every weekend of the summer is a new reason to celebrate at the PECO Multicultural Series, which brings the cultures of the world—from Ireland and Portugal to Israel and the Caribbean—to Penn's Landing. June-September. (215) 922-2FUN, delawareriverevents.com
- Tall ships from around the world line Philly's waterfront during the Old City Seaport Festival every fall. Guests can climb aboard to tour the Delaware River, and on land, they enjoy live music, crafts, vendors and family-friendly activities that engage visitors in Philly's maritime history. October 11-13. (215) 413-8655, phillyseaport.org/seaportfestival
BEYOND CENTER CITY
Fishtown & Northern Liberties:
- A fundraiser for the Friends of Penn Treaty Park, the fifth annual ShadFest celebrates the springtime run with shad tastings, local art vendors, children's crafts, live music and the Kenzinger Challenge run. May 3. fishtownshadfest.net
- Lining the cobblestone street with artists of all stripes and genres, the Trenton Avenue Arts Festival includes the storied Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby, a quirky competition for the most creative human-powered vehicles. May 18. kinetickensington.org, trentonaveartsfest.org
- A block party sponsored by the businesses of Northern Liberties, the 2nd Street Festival showcases live music programmed by the Philadelphia Folksong Society, workshops, art, shopping and the very best local eats and drinks. August 4. 2ndstfestival.org
- The Fishtown Neighbors Association presents the Rivercity Festival, a waterfront party with a performance stage, fun run and hospitality and wellness tents. October 5. rivercityfestival.org
South Street: Society Hill To Graduate Hospital:
- The undead come out for the Philly Zombie Crawl on Easter Sunday, and the first order of business is the Zombie Pre-Game for face painting and DJs, before a nightlong tour of South Street bars for drink specials and ghoulish fun. March 31. phillyzombiecrawl.com
- When the weather warms, the crowds gather at the South Street Spring Festival, an open-air party with local eats, drinks and goods from the street's wide-ranging vendors. May 4. southstreet.com
- Based on Yoruba traditions, the Odunde Festival celebrates the coming of another year for African-Americans and African people around the world with a procession, ceremonial offering and African marketplace, along with live music and dance. June 9. (215) 732-8510, odundefestival.org
- Craft breweries, neighborhood vendors, live music and food trucks come together on South Street for Bloktoberfest, an all-ages block party. Proceeds are donated to local charities and programs. October 12. bloktoberfestphilly.com
- The Headhouse Square Shambles get into the October spirit with the Pumpkinland Fall Festival, a family day of activities including arts and crafts, dancing demonstrations, vendors and live performances, plus a free pumpkin giveaway. October 26. southstreet.com
South Philly: Bella Vista & East Passyunk:
- It's one of the hottest restaurant rows in the region, and East Passyunk toots its own gastronomic horn during Flavors of the Avenue. For a reasonable admission fee, visitors can sample food and drink from its myriad restaurants, bakeries and pubs. April 27. visiteastpassyunk.com
- The nation's oldest outdoor market and the already-bustling heart of South Philadelphia welcomes the city for the Italian Market Festival, a foodie's dream with flavors from its myriad restaurants and shops, along with the Annual Procession of Saints and plenty of activities for kids. May 18-19. italianmarketfestival.com
- During Philly Beer Week, East Passyunk plays up its roots with a daylong Italian Festival and Craft Beer Day, a pub crawl with a distinctly red sauce flavor, offering samples, brewer meet-and-greets and plenty of special deals. June 2. visiteastpassyunk.com
- Muscle car enthusiasts show off their Turtle Waxed best at the Car Show and Street Festival, where vehicles in multiple categories are on display for the judging. Street eats and live entertainers round out the offerings. July 28. visiteastpassyunk.com
- A literary arts festival that goes beyond the book, the 215 Festival highlights authors and their words through live performance, music, film, book fairs, panel discussions and dance parties. October 17-20. 215festival.org
- Collectors, enthusiasts and artists alike gather for the Fairmount Arts Crawl when Fairmount Avenue businesses become temporary galleries with more than 70 installations. Live arts and kids activities entertain along the way. April 28. fairmountcdc.org
- It's all about family fun at Clemente Fest, a fundraiser for the Spring Garden park named for the famed Puerto Rican baseball player. Attractions include local art, music and performance, plus a moon bounce and games for kids. May 18. friendsofclemente.blogspot.com
- Summer in Fairmount begins with the Urban Beach Party, held on the Brown Street lawn at Eastern State Penitentiary and featuring games, music and food for the family. June 22. fespp.com
- Wigs are welcome at the Bastille Day celebration at the Eastern State Penitentiary, where a reenactment of the French Revolution includes a Marie Antoinette re-enactor yelling "Let them eat Tastykakes," followed by a block party and French dinner specials at local restaurants.
July 13. (215) 236-2985, easternstate.org
West Philadelphia/University City:
- Sponsored by Crossroads Music and featuring musicians from India and the United States, the Raga Samay Music Festival is a 24-hour marathon of Hindustani classical music, along with a documentary screening and a panel discussion. April 6-7. (215) 729-1028, ragasamay.org
- In addition to selling locally made crafts and goods, the Go West! Craft Fest, sponsored by local shop Vix Emporium and held outdoors at the Woodlands, hosts performances by local bands and Tangle Movement Arts' tinycircus performance series. April 20. gowestcraftfest.com
- Held on Saturdays closest to the summer solstice and fall equinox, the Clark Park Music and Arts Festival brings together music of all genres, arts and crafts, vendors and family activities in one of the city's most vibrant neighborhood gathering spaces. June and September 2013 (exact dates to be determined). clarkparkfest.wordpress.com
Neighborhoods All Over Town:
- The biannual Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts is a sprawling, month-long extravaganza (this year's theme is "If You Had a Time Machine…") of music, dance, theater, art and lectures, culminating in an enormous fair on Avenue of the Arts on April 27. March 28-April 27. (215) 546-PIFA, pifa.org
- The local obsession with all-things fizzy and fermented comes to a foamy head during Philly Beer Week, a regional bacchanal with special dinners, tastings, pub crawls and brewery tours.
May 31-June 9. phillybeerweek.org
- Philly's preeminent Fourth of July bash, Wawa Welcome America! offers up a spectacular series of events, including fireworks, parades, movies, ice cream, hoagies and live concerts headlined by national acts. June 24-July 4. welcomeamerica.com
- With an eye on the world's most cutting-edge art, the Live Arts Festival and Philly Fringe curates weeks of theater, dance, music and interdisciplinary performances. September 6-21. livearts-fringe.org
- The domestic and international works screened at the cross-city Philadelphia Film Festival include documentary, animation and live-action features, enhanced with panel discussions and director Q&As. October 17-27. filmadelphia.org
- Story slams, workshops, standup comedy and theater are just a few of the ways the First Person Arts Festival brings the real narratives of everyday people to a wide audience in venues around the city every year. November 7-16. firstpersonarts.org
The Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation (GPTMC) makes Philadelphia and The Countryside® a premier destination through marketing and image building that increases business and promotes the region's vitality.
For more information about travel to Philadelphia, visit visitphilly.com or uwishunu.com, where you can build itineraries; search event calendars; see photos and videos; view interactive maps; sign up for newsletters; listen to HearPhilly, an online radio station about what to see and do in the region; book hotel reservations and more. Or, call the Independence Visitor Center, located in Historic Philadelphia, at (800) 537-7676.
SOURCE Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,743
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Aug. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,938
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Aug. 23, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,726
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 23, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,617
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 23, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,781
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 23, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,873
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 23, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,475
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 23, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,492
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 23, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,399
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 23, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,706
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 23, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,994
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Aug. 23, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,214
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 23, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,024
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 23, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,619
Akana has announced the availability of version 8 of its API Management solution. The Akana Platform provides an end-to-end API Management solution for designing, implementing, securing, managing, monitoring, and publishing APIs. It is available as a SaaS platform, on-premises, and as a hybrid deployment. Version 8 introduces a lot of new functionality, all aimed at offering customers the richest API Management capabilities in a way that is easier than ever for API and app developers to use.
Aug. 23, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,367
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 23, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,798
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 23, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,566
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 23, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,791
SYS-CON Events announced today that CDS Global Cloud, an Infrastructure as a Service provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CDS Global Cloud is an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) provider specializing in solutions for e-commerce, internet gaming, online education and other internet applications. With a growing number of data centers and network points around the world, ...
Aug. 22, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,142
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Aug. 22, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,502