|By PR Newswire||
|February 25, 2013 12:59 PM EST||
PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Tweet It: Tis the season for festivals in @VisitPhilly's Center City neighborhoods and beyond: http://vstphl.ly/UMxW2P
Philadelphians love their festivals. Whether it's local artisans and craftspeople sharing their wares on Penn's Landing, a celebration of the fall season in Midtown Village, a traditional Yoruba-style street fair on South Street or a craft beer party on East Passyunk Avenue, there's always a reason to celebrate in neighborhoods in and around Center City. The following are some mark-the-calendar happenings for 2013:
Benjamin Franklin Parkway:
- For the third year running, the Philadelphia Science Festival will unleash 10 days of exploratory exhibitions, lectures, debates and hands-on activities on campuses, museums and other venues around the city, culminating with a family-friendly Science Carnival on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. April 18-28. philasciencefestival.org
- A signature event for The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Bug Fest is a weekend-long celebration of all things creepy, crawly and fluttery. Visitors can check out bug specimens both live and preserved, meet insect researchers and even sample some bug cuisine. August 11-12. (215) 299-1000, ansp.org
- Along with the blooming rhododendrons of spring comes the Rittenhouse Row Spring Festival, Walnut Street's annual fete with food, fashion, music and art, plus a slew of activities for kids. May 18. rittenhouserow.org
- James Joyce's masterwork Ulysses serves as the focal point of Bloomsday, and the Rosenbach Museum and Library hosts the Philadelphia outpost of a worldwide all-day festival for literary enthusiasts. June 16. (215) 732-1600, rosenbach.org
- Putting the spotlight on LGBT history and culture, Equality Forum brings together people from around the world for panel discussions, parties, art and theater events and a lively community fair. May 2-5. (215) 732-3378, equalityforum.com
- Philly's OutFest is the biggest National Coming Out Day event in the world, and with good reason—the street carnival features a sports area, family zone, craft market, live music, dance parties and much more. October 13. phillypride.org
- The already vibrant 13th Street takes on an autumnal glow at the annual Midtown Village Fall Festival, with a pop-up beer garden, live music, food from area restaurants, dunk tanks, more than 50 artists and crafters, DJs and even sumo wrestling. October 5. midtownvillage.org
Old City/Penn's Landing:
- Lovers of one-of-a-kind finds descend on the annual Spring Art Star Craft Bazaar, where the handmade goods include housewares, ceramics, clothing, art, paper goods and much more. The weekend-long sale at the Great Plaza at Penn's Landing is punctuated with live music, food and art demonstrations. May 11-12. artstarcraftbazaar.com
- Every weekend of the summer is a new reason to celebrate at the PECO Multicultural Series, which brings the cultures of the world—from Ireland and Portugal to Israel and the Caribbean—to Penn's Landing. June-September. (215) 922-2FUN, delawareriverevents.com
- Tall ships from around the world line Philly's waterfront during the Old City Seaport Festival every fall. Guests can climb aboard to tour the Delaware River, and on land, they enjoy live music, crafts, vendors and family-friendly activities that engage visitors in Philly's maritime history. October 11-13. (215) 413-8655, phillyseaport.org/seaportfestival
BEYOND CENTER CITY
Fishtown & Northern Liberties:
- A fundraiser for the Friends of Penn Treaty Park, the fifth annual ShadFest celebrates the springtime run with shad tastings, local art vendors, children's crafts, live music and the Kenzinger Challenge run. May 3. fishtownshadfest.net
- Lining the cobblestone street with artists of all stripes and genres, the Trenton Avenue Arts Festival includes the storied Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby, a quirky competition for the most creative human-powered vehicles. May 18. kinetickensington.org, trentonaveartsfest.org
- A block party sponsored by the businesses of Northern Liberties, the 2nd Street Festival showcases live music programmed by the Philadelphia Folksong Society, workshops, art, shopping and the very best local eats and drinks. August 4. 2ndstfestival.org
- The Fishtown Neighbors Association presents the Rivercity Festival, a waterfront party with a performance stage, fun run and hospitality and wellness tents. October 5. rivercityfestival.org
South Street: Society Hill To Graduate Hospital:
- The undead come out for the Philly Zombie Crawl on Easter Sunday, and the first order of business is the Zombie Pre-Game for face painting and DJs, before a nightlong tour of South Street bars for drink specials and ghoulish fun. March 31. phillyzombiecrawl.com
- When the weather warms, the crowds gather at the South Street Spring Festival, an open-air party with local eats, drinks and goods from the street's wide-ranging vendors. May 4. southstreet.com
- Based on Yoruba traditions, the Odunde Festival celebrates the coming of another year for African-Americans and African people around the world with a procession, ceremonial offering and African marketplace, along with live music and dance. June 9. (215) 732-8510, odundefestival.org
- Craft breweries, neighborhood vendors, live music and food trucks come together on South Street for Bloktoberfest, an all-ages block party. Proceeds are donated to local charities and programs. October 12. bloktoberfestphilly.com
- The Headhouse Square Shambles get into the October spirit with the Pumpkinland Fall Festival, a family day of activities including arts and crafts, dancing demonstrations, vendors and live performances, plus a free pumpkin giveaway. October 26. southstreet.com
South Philly: Bella Vista & East Passyunk:
- It's one of the hottest restaurant rows in the region, and East Passyunk toots its own gastronomic horn during Flavors of the Avenue. For a reasonable admission fee, visitors can sample food and drink from its myriad restaurants, bakeries and pubs. April 27. visiteastpassyunk.com
- The nation's oldest outdoor market and the already-bustling heart of South Philadelphia welcomes the city for the Italian Market Festival, a foodie's dream with flavors from its myriad restaurants and shops, along with the Annual Procession of Saints and plenty of activities for kids. May 18-19. italianmarketfestival.com
- During Philly Beer Week, East Passyunk plays up its roots with a daylong Italian Festival and Craft Beer Day, a pub crawl with a distinctly red sauce flavor, offering samples, brewer meet-and-greets and plenty of special deals. June 2. visiteastpassyunk.com
- Muscle car enthusiasts show off their Turtle Waxed best at the Car Show and Street Festival, where vehicles in multiple categories are on display for the judging. Street eats and live entertainers round out the offerings. July 28. visiteastpassyunk.com
- A literary arts festival that goes beyond the book, the 215 Festival highlights authors and their words through live performance, music, film, book fairs, panel discussions and dance parties. October 17-20. 215festival.org
- Collectors, enthusiasts and artists alike gather for the Fairmount Arts Crawl when Fairmount Avenue businesses become temporary galleries with more than 70 installations. Live arts and kids activities entertain along the way. April 28. fairmountcdc.org
- It's all about family fun at Clemente Fest, a fundraiser for the Spring Garden park named for the famed Puerto Rican baseball player. Attractions include local art, music and performance, plus a moon bounce and games for kids. May 18. friendsofclemente.blogspot.com
- Summer in Fairmount begins with the Urban Beach Party, held on the Brown Street lawn at Eastern State Penitentiary and featuring games, music and food for the family. June 22. fespp.com
- Wigs are welcome at the Bastille Day celebration at the Eastern State Penitentiary, where a reenactment of the French Revolution includes a Marie Antoinette re-enactor yelling "Let them eat Tastykakes," followed by a block party and French dinner specials at local restaurants.
July 13. (215) 236-2985, easternstate.org
West Philadelphia/University City:
- Sponsored by Crossroads Music and featuring musicians from India and the United States, the Raga Samay Music Festival is a 24-hour marathon of Hindustani classical music, along with a documentary screening and a panel discussion. April 6-7. (215) 729-1028, ragasamay.org
- In addition to selling locally made crafts and goods, the Go West! Craft Fest, sponsored by local shop Vix Emporium and held outdoors at the Woodlands, hosts performances by local bands and Tangle Movement Arts' tinycircus performance series. April 20. gowestcraftfest.com
- Held on Saturdays closest to the summer solstice and fall equinox, the Clark Park Music and Arts Festival brings together music of all genres, arts and crafts, vendors and family activities in one of the city's most vibrant neighborhood gathering spaces. June and September 2013 (exact dates to be determined). clarkparkfest.wordpress.com
Neighborhoods All Over Town:
- The biannual Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts is a sprawling, month-long extravaganza (this year's theme is "If You Had a Time Machine…") of music, dance, theater, art and lectures, culminating in an enormous fair on Avenue of the Arts on April 27. March 28-April 27. (215) 546-PIFA, pifa.org
- The local obsession with all-things fizzy and fermented comes to a foamy head during Philly Beer Week, a regional bacchanal with special dinners, tastings, pub crawls and brewery tours.
May 31-June 9. phillybeerweek.org
- Philly's preeminent Fourth of July bash, Wawa Welcome America! offers up a spectacular series of events, including fireworks, parades, movies, ice cream, hoagies and live concerts headlined by national acts. June 24-July 4. welcomeamerica.com
- With an eye on the world's most cutting-edge art, the Live Arts Festival and Philly Fringe curates weeks of theater, dance, music and interdisciplinary performances. September 6-21. livearts-fringe.org
- The domestic and international works screened at the cross-city Philadelphia Film Festival include documentary, animation and live-action features, enhanced with panel discussions and director Q&As. October 17-27. filmadelphia.org
- Story slams, workshops, standup comedy and theater are just a few of the ways the First Person Arts Festival brings the real narratives of everyday people to a wide audience in venues around the city every year. November 7-16. firstpersonarts.org
The Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation (GPTMC) makes Philadelphia and The Countryside® a premier destination through marketing and image building that increases business and promotes the region's vitality.
For more information about travel to Philadelphia, visit visitphilly.com or uwishunu.com, where you can build itineraries; search event calendars; see photos and videos; view interactive maps; sign up for newsletters; listen to HearPhilly, an online radio station about what to see and do in the region; book hotel reservations and more. Or, call the Independence Visitor Center, located in Historic Philadelphia, at (800) 537-7676.
SOURCE Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Oct. 28, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,449
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,508
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue an...
Oct. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,081
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 9,800
Intelligent machines are here. Robots, self-driving cars, drones, bots and many IoT devices are becoming smarter with Machine Learning. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Sudha Jamthe, CEO of IoTDisruptions.com, will discuss the next wave of business disruption at the junction of IoT and AI, impacting many industries and set to change our lives, work and world as we know it.
Oct. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 540
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Oct. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,833
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 27, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,162
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Oct. 27, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,109
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 27, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,910
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 27, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 533
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,463
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 313
The Open Connectivity Foundation (OCF), sponsor of the IoTivity open source project, and AllSeen Alliance, which provides the AllJoyn® open source IoT framework, today announced that the two organizations’ boards have approved a merger under the OCF name and bylaws. This merger will advance interoperability between connected devices from both groups, enabling the full operating potential of IoT and representing a significant step towards a connected ecosystem.
Oct. 27, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,330
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,192
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,069
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,346
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Oct. 27, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,284
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 27, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,179
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 27, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,629
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 27, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,004