|By Marketwired .||
|December 17, 2012 09:00 AM EST||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/17/12 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Empowering organizations to capitalize on the opportunity of big data to help transform their businesses, Oracle today announced new releases of Oracle Big Data Appliance and Oracle Big Data Connectors.
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 is a cost-effective, engineered system of hardware and software that has been upgraded to include Intel's new processors and the latest release of Cloudera's Distribution including Apache Hadoop (CDH) and Cloudera Manager, as well as the new Oracle Enterprise Manager plug-in for Big Data Appliance.
- Oracle Big Data Connectors have been enhanced to enable greater SQL access to Hadoop from Oracle Database and to enable more transparent access to Hadoop from R.
- When used in conjunction with Oracle Exadata Database Machine and Oracle Exalytics, Oracle Big Data Appliance with Oracle Big Data Connectors provides a full set of engineered systems to acquire, organize, and analyze big data. The latest releases provide more processing power, memory capacity, enhanced integration and management capabilities.
- Recently, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Funded Frederick National Library won the 2012 Government Big Data Solution Award for its work using the Oracle Big Data Appliance with the Cloudera Distribution of Apache Hadoop (CDH) to build an infrastructure capable of cross-referencing the relationships between 17,000 genes and five major cancer subtypes across 20 million biomedical publication abstracts.
Engineered System Simplifies Big Data for the Enterprise
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 hardware features the latest 8-core Intel® Xeon E5-2600 series of processors, and compared with previous generation, the 18 compute and storage servers with 648 TB raw storage now offer:
- 33 percent more processing power with 288 CPU cores;
- 33 percent more memory per node with 1.1 TB of main memory;
- and up to a 30 percent reduction in power and cooling
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X3-2 further simplifies implementation and management of big data by integrating all the hardware and software required to acquire, organize and analyze big data. It includes:
- Support for CDH4.1 including software upgrades developed collaboratively with Cloudera to simplify NameNode High Availability in Hadoop, eliminating the single point of failure in a Hadoop cluster;
- Oracle NoSQL Database Community Edition 2.0, the latest version that brings better Hadoop integration, elastic scaling and new APIs, including JSON and C support;
- The Oracle Enterprise Manager plug-in for Big Data Appliance that complements Cloudera Manager to enable users to more easily manage a Hadoop cluster;
- Updated distributions of Oracle Linux and Oracle Java Development Kit;
- An updated distribution of open source R, optimized to work with high performance multi-threaded math libraries
Connectors Integrate Hadoop with Oracle Big Data Ecosystem
- Oracle Big Data Connectors is a suite of software built by Oracle to integrate Apache Hadoop with Oracle Database, Oracle Data Integrator, and Oracle R Distribution.
- Enhancements to Oracle Big Data Connectors extend these data integration capabilities. With updates to every connector, this release includes:
- Oracle SQL Connector for Hadoop Distributed File System, for high performance SQL queries on Hadoop data from Oracle Database, enhanced with increased automation and querying of Hive tables and now supported within the Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop;
- Transparent access to the Hive Query language from R and introduction of new analytic techniques executing natively in Hadoop, enabling R developers to be more productive by increasing access to Hadoop in the R environment.
- "An influx of raw datasets are flooding every enterprise. However, before businesses can take advantage of the potential opportunity, they face a significant challenge in organizing these diverse data sources," said Cetin Ozbutun, vice president, Data Warehousing and Big Data Technologies, Oracle. "The latest updates further improve the abilities of our customers to optimize big data workloads and integrate them with their data warehouses to easily analyze all data throughout the enterprise."
- "Organizations are increasingly looking for mature, reliable enterprise-ready tools to support their big data initiatives," said Mike Olson, CEO of Cloudera. "Optimized for Hadoop, Oracle Big Data Appliance with Cloudera delivers an easy-to-manage Hadoop platform, designed to meet the Big Data needs of today's enterprise."
- Oracle and Big Data
- Oracle Big Data Appliance
- Oracle Big Data Connectors
- Oracle Advanced Analytics
- About Oracle NoSQL Database
- Oracle Big Data YouTube Series (Episodes 1 - 5)
- 2012 Government Big Data Solutions Award
- Connect with Oracle Database via Blog, Facebook and Twitter
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Cloudera, Cloudera CDH, and Cloudera Manager are registered and unregistered trademarks of Cloudera, Inc. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 27, 2017 07:00 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Feb. 27, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 1,746
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Feb. 27, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 6,148
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, director/senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Feb. 27, 2017 04:30 AM EST Reads: 4,301
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 27, 2017 04:30 AM EST Reads: 2,235
910Telecom exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and exchanges.
Feb. 27, 2017 03:30 AM EST Reads: 2,206
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Feb. 27, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 7,549
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Feb. 27, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,155
Who are you? How do you introduce yourself? Do you use a name, or do you greet a friend by the last four digits of his social security number? Assuming you don’t, why are we content to associate our identity with 10 random digits assigned by our phone company? Identity is an issue that affects everyone, but as individuals we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ben Klang, Founder & President of Mojo Lingo, discussed the impact of technology on identity. Sho...
Feb. 26, 2017 11:45 PM EST Reads: 6,271
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 26, 2017 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,197
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Feb. 26, 2017 10:00 PM EST Reads: 13,774
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Feb. 26, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 2,553
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Feb. 26, 2017 09:00 PM EST Reads: 9,057
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Feb. 26, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 5,252
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Feb. 26, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 2,094
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Feb. 26, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 7,273
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Feb. 26, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 910
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 26, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 2,171
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 26, 2017 06:45 PM EST Reads: 2,499
In 2014, Amazon announced a new form of compute called Lambda. We didn't know it at the time, but this represented a fundamental shift in what we expect from cloud computing. Now, all of the major cloud computing vendors want to take part in this disruptive technology. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, John Jelinek IV, a web developer at Linux Academy, will discuss why major players like AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix, and Google Cloud Platform are all trying to sidestep VMs and containers...
Feb. 26, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 2,347