|By Marketwired .||
|April 11, 2012 12:03 PM EDT||
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/11/12 -- VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today celebrated the first birthday of Cloud Foundry, the industry's open platform as a service (PaaS), with announcements of new partnerships, a new system for managing open source software contributions, new tools for operating large-scale services, and additional multi-cloud deployment choices.
At a live event today, VMware CTO and Senior Vice President of R&D Steve Herrod demonstrated how Cloud Foundry is becoming the open PaaS of choice for the cloud era, giving developers a choice of clouds for deployment, frameworks and application services while dramatically simplifying deployment and scaling of applications.
"Since the launch of Cloud Foundry as the first open PaaS one year ago, we've seen incredible developer excitement for a better way to build and deploy cloud applications as well as tremendous industry investment in and around Cloud Foundry," said Steve Herrod, CTO and senior vice president of R&D, VMware. "By offering a simplified approach that embraces the diversity and speed of modern application development, Cloud Foundry removes complexity at almost every stage of the development process and enables developers to take advantage of innovation that is occurring across the industry."
Cloud Foundry Expanding on Multiple Fronts
Launched by VMware in April 2011, with source code available under the Apache license, Cloud Foundry is a cloud-era application platform built to simplify and speed the development, deployment and operation of applications. Continuing Cloud Foundry's momentum, VMware today announced:
- Partners: Cloud9, Collabnet, ServiceMesh, SOASTA, X.commerce (an eBay company) Announce Support for Cloud Foundry - A broad array of companies are announcing investments in and around Cloud Foundry today, contributing to a vibrant ecosystem that includes development and tool providers, cloud management vendors, public cloud operators, framework and application service developers and application developers. Today, Cloud9, Collabnet, ServiceMesh, SOASTA and eBay's X.commerce announced their support for Cloud Foundry. Cloud9's browser-based integrated development environment now supports deployment to any instance of Cloud Foundry. Collabnet is adding support for Cloud Foundry to its agile enterprise development tools. ServiceMesh has added policy-driven deployment of Cloud Foundry for enterprises to its Agility Platform. SOASTA offers a Cloud Foundry-based automated testing solution for the cloud. X.commerce, eBay's open, end-to-end commerce technology platform, is building upon Cloud Foundry.
Read partner and industry comments on Cloud Foundry
- Community: Streamlining Open Source Participation - Cloud Foundry has been an open source project from the day it was first released. The project is widely forked and followed on GitHub and has seen broad and substantive contributions from the developer community, including support for dozens of major development frameworks and application services, as well as deployment to diverse cloud infrastructure, bug fixes, documentation and other contributions.
To facilitate even broader community participation, VMware today introduced the new CloudFoundry.org, a new source code management system for Cloud Foundry. By converging Cloud Foundry source code to a single set of public code repositories on GitHub and integrating with Gerrit for code reviews and Jenkins for continuous integration, the new process simplifies community code contributions, improves code quality and offers greater visibility into code changes as they happen.
- Code: Enabling Large-Scale, Highly Reliable Operations - VMware today introduced Cloud Foundry BOSH, an open source tool chain for release engineering, deployment and lifecycle management of large-scale distributed services. Designed to enable the systematic and prescriptive evolution of services, BOSH facilitates the operation of production instances of Cloud Foundry. Proven in the course of operating CloudFoundry.com, BOSH is available under the Apache license from CloudFoundry.org and currently includes support for VMware vSphere® as well as early support for Amazon Web Services. Source code is available today at www.github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh.
- Clouds: Delivering on the Multi-Cloud Imperative - As an open PaaS, Cloud Foundry is designed to run on a wide variety of clouds and cloud infrastructure, protecting developers from being locked into any particular cloud. This vision has been validated by the wide range of private cloud distributions, cloud management and deployment solutions and public cloud operators supporting Cloud Foundry today. This diversity gives customers multi-cloud deployment options and preserves their choice and flexibility. In a live demo, VMware today showed the same application being deployed to multiple instances of Cloud Foundry within minutes.
- Steve Herrod, VMware CTO and senior vice president of R&D, viewpoint on today's Cloud Foundry news
- More technical details on today's news
- Visit the new cloudfoundry.org and access the source code
- Watch a video that shows multi-cloud in action
- Cloud Foundry Open Tour: http://opentour.cloudfoundry.com
- Follow @cloudfoundry and @VMware on Twitter (hashtag: #cfoundry)
- To get started with Cloud Foundry, please visit http://www.cloudfoundry.com/
Cloud Foundry Open Tour: a worldwide series of "Developer Days" for developers to learn more about developing cloud applications with open PaaS. Upcoming dates include:
- Kiev, Ukraine: Tuesday, April 24, 2012
- Moscow, Russia: Thursday, April 26, 2012
- London, United Kingdom: Tuesday, May 1, 2012
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2011 revenues of $3.77 billion, VMware has more than 350,000 customers and 50,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, Cloud Foundry, VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other names and marks mentioned herein may be registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
The OutCast Agency for VMware
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 20, 2017 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,635
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Jan. 20, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 583
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 5,726
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 5,232
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,647
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 4,345
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 3,184
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 20, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 5,833
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 6,086
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 3,701
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 2,930
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 4,758
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,949
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,720
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 20, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 2,981
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 9,083
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 6,873
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Jan. 20, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 920
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Jan. 20, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 5,039
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Jan. 20, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 6,590