|By Marketwired .||
|April 11, 2012 12:03 PM EDT||
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/11/12 -- VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, today celebrated the first birthday of Cloud Foundry, the industry's open platform as a service (PaaS), with announcements of new partnerships, a new system for managing open source software contributions, new tools for operating large-scale services, and additional multi-cloud deployment choices.
At a live event today, VMware CTO and Senior Vice President of R&D Steve Herrod demonstrated how Cloud Foundry is becoming the open PaaS of choice for the cloud era, giving developers a choice of clouds for deployment, frameworks and application services while dramatically simplifying deployment and scaling of applications.
"Since the launch of Cloud Foundry as the first open PaaS one year ago, we've seen incredible developer excitement for a better way to build and deploy cloud applications as well as tremendous industry investment in and around Cloud Foundry," said Steve Herrod, CTO and senior vice president of R&D, VMware. "By offering a simplified approach that embraces the diversity and speed of modern application development, Cloud Foundry removes complexity at almost every stage of the development process and enables developers to take advantage of innovation that is occurring across the industry."
Cloud Foundry Expanding on Multiple Fronts
Launched by VMware in April 2011, with source code available under the Apache license, Cloud Foundry is a cloud-era application platform built to simplify and speed the development, deployment and operation of applications. Continuing Cloud Foundry's momentum, VMware today announced:
- Partners: Cloud9, Collabnet, ServiceMesh, SOASTA, X.commerce (an eBay company) Announce Support for Cloud Foundry - A broad array of companies are announcing investments in and around Cloud Foundry today, contributing to a vibrant ecosystem that includes development and tool providers, cloud management vendors, public cloud operators, framework and application service developers and application developers. Today, Cloud9, Collabnet, ServiceMesh, SOASTA and eBay's X.commerce announced their support for Cloud Foundry. Cloud9's browser-based integrated development environment now supports deployment to any instance of Cloud Foundry. Collabnet is adding support for Cloud Foundry to its agile enterprise development tools. ServiceMesh has added policy-driven deployment of Cloud Foundry for enterprises to its Agility Platform. SOASTA offers a Cloud Foundry-based automated testing solution for the cloud. X.commerce, eBay's open, end-to-end commerce technology platform, is building upon Cloud Foundry.
Read partner and industry comments on Cloud Foundry
- Community: Streamlining Open Source Participation - Cloud Foundry has been an open source project from the day it was first released. The project is widely forked and followed on GitHub and has seen broad and substantive contributions from the developer community, including support for dozens of major development frameworks and application services, as well as deployment to diverse cloud infrastructure, bug fixes, documentation and other contributions.
To facilitate even broader community participation, VMware today introduced the new CloudFoundry.org, a new source code management system for Cloud Foundry. By converging Cloud Foundry source code to a single set of public code repositories on GitHub and integrating with Gerrit for code reviews and Jenkins for continuous integration, the new process simplifies community code contributions, improves code quality and offers greater visibility into code changes as they happen.
- Code: Enabling Large-Scale, Highly Reliable Operations - VMware today introduced Cloud Foundry BOSH, an open source tool chain for release engineering, deployment and lifecycle management of large-scale distributed services. Designed to enable the systematic and prescriptive evolution of services, BOSH facilitates the operation of production instances of Cloud Foundry. Proven in the course of operating CloudFoundry.com, BOSH is available under the Apache license from CloudFoundry.org and currently includes support for VMware vSphere® as well as early support for Amazon Web Services. Source code is available today at www.github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh.
- Clouds: Delivering on the Multi-Cloud Imperative - As an open PaaS, Cloud Foundry is designed to run on a wide variety of clouds and cloud infrastructure, protecting developers from being locked into any particular cloud. This vision has been validated by the wide range of private cloud distributions, cloud management and deployment solutions and public cloud operators supporting Cloud Foundry today. This diversity gives customers multi-cloud deployment options and preserves their choice and flexibility. In a live demo, VMware today showed the same application being deployed to multiple instances of Cloud Foundry within minutes.
- Steve Herrod, VMware CTO and senior vice president of R&D, viewpoint on today's Cloud Foundry news
- More technical details on today's news
- Visit the new cloudfoundry.org and access the source code
- Watch a video that shows multi-cloud in action
- Cloud Foundry Open Tour: http://opentour.cloudfoundry.com
- Follow @cloudfoundry and @VMware on Twitter (hashtag: #cfoundry)
- To get started with Cloud Foundry, please visit http://www.cloudfoundry.com/
Cloud Foundry Open Tour: a worldwide series of "Developer Days" for developers to learn more about developing cloud applications with open PaaS. Upcoming dates include:
- Kiev, Ukraine: Tuesday, April 24, 2012
- Moscow, Russia: Thursday, April 26, 2012
- London, United Kingdom: Tuesday, May 1, 2012
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable businesses to thrive in the Cloud Era. Customers rely on VMware to help them transform the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technology resources in a manner that is evolutionary and based on their specific needs. With 2011 revenues of $3.77 billion, VMware has more than 350,000 customers and 50,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, Cloud Foundry, VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other names and marks mentioned herein may be registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective companies. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
The OutCast Agency for VMware
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 21, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,135
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Now has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IoT Now explores the evolving opportunities and challenges facing CSPs, and it passes on some lessons learned from those who have taken the first steps in next-gen IoT services.
Feb. 21, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,226
SYS-CON Events announced today that WineSOFT will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Seoul and Irvine, WineSOFT is an innovative software house focusing on internet infrastructure solutions. The venture started as a bootstrap start-up in 2010 by focusing on making the internet faster and more powerful. WineSOFT’s knowledge is based on the expertise of TCP/IP, VPN, SSL, peer-to-peer, mob...
Feb. 21, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,539
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 21, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 881
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 21, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,147
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Feb. 21, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,752
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Feb. 21, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 2,298
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Feb. 21, 2017 04:00 PM EST Reads: 6,886
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Feb. 21, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 809
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the...
Feb. 21, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 4,515
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 21, 2017 03:00 PM EST Reads: 5,971
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 21, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,357
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 21, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 557
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 571
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry’s single source for the cloud. Fusion’s advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,607
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Academy will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloud Academy is the industry’s most innovative, vendor-neutral cloud technology training platform. Cloud Academy provides continuous learning solutions for individuals and enterprise teams for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and the most popular cloud computing technologies. Ge...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 1,145
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life settle...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 829
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 1,287
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Feb. 21, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 1,457
With 10 simultaneous tracks, keynotes, general sessions and targeted breakout classes, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo are two of the most important technology events of the year. Since its launch over eight years ago, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo have presented a rock star faculty as well as showcased hundreds of sponsors and exhibitors! In this blog post, I provide 7 tips on how, as part of our world-class faculty, you can deliver one of the most popular sessions at our events. But before reading the...
Feb. 21, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 8,017