|By PR Newswire||
|January 31, 2012 09:15 AM EST||
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- eXo, the user experience platform-as-a-service (UXPaaS) company, today announced general availability of eXo Platform 3.5. This new release of eXo Platform is designed for organizations that want a cloud-enabled solution for creating and managing next-generation portal-based sites that facilitate engagements between colleagues, customers or partners, and can easily integrate with existing enterprise applications, policies and procedures.
Enterprises today require greater flexibility and tools that will enable them to deliver rich user experiences for a variety of use cases — social intranets, extranets, transactional websites and more. They want options to deploy in the cloud or in the back office, to integrate with external web services and internal line of business applications. The eXo user experience platform (UXP) gives IT professionals the resources they require to meet all these needs.
"Built on open standards and open source technologies, eXo Platform 3.5 has the features and extensibility of a UXP and the cloud architecture to build public and private clouds. We built the first true UXPaaS," said Benjamin Mestrallet, founder and CEO of eXo. "Imagine company ABC wanting to integrate their custom-built inventory application in an enterprise portal with social networking and document management capabilities, and then deliver that as a private cloud service to all their customers. eXo Platform 3.5 enables them to do just that — and to do it very efficiently."
The Emergence of the UXPaaS
The user experience platform (UXP) is the emerging implementation of next-generation portal services. Unlike traditional portal services, though, a user experience platform offers an organization an integrated collection of technologies that speed the creation of portals built around content, collaboration capabilities, social streams and services, mobile access and more. eXo Platform has long provided these integrated platform services.
With the release of eXo Platform 3.5, eXo has added support for multi-tenancy and engineered this platform to be cloud-ready. Now, organizations or service providers that want to offer a UXP as a service — a UXPaaS — can do so. A single instance of eXo Platform 3.5 can support many UXP-based social intranets, extranets, transactional websites and more for many different clients, each in their own private cloud environment. To understand the UXPaaS landscape, see http://budurl.com/kah4.
Native Mobile Apps and Cloud-Ready Features for Unprecedented Deployment Flexibility
Using eXo Platform 3.5, companies can create a secure portal-based site and add the user experience services — such as content, document management and social activity streams — that best suit project needs. IT organizations can give their end users an easy yet controlled way to interact with their networks and work collaboratively. Key technology enhancements in eXo Platform 3.5 include:
- Mobile Apps: Native iPhone, iPad and Android apps integrate elegantly with sites built on eXo Platform 3.5, ensuring that users can interact with personalized gadget dashboards, activity streams, document repositories and more — at any time, from anywhere.
- Cloud-Ready: Support for multi-tenancy deployments includes the option to host isolated portals on a single auto-scalable instance of eXo Platform 3.5. The unique integration capabilities and extensive set of UXP features enable enterprises, service providers and independent software vendors (ISVs) to build their own private and public cloud offerings with immediate productivity.
Additionally, eXo Platform 3.5 includes a range of new or enhanced features for delivering a rich user experience:
- Simpler, More Intuitive Interface: The look and feel of all of the built-in apps has been refreshed for eXo Platform 3.5, with the goal of greater simplicity and enhanced readability. In addition, the new desktop mode allows users to access eXo Platform 3.5 services in a familiar and windowed environment, right within the browser.
- Enhanced Social and Collaboration Tools: Rich collaboration features such as an enterprise Wiki, forums, polls, FAQs and shared calendar components (including remote calendar synchronization) are standard. Social network capabilities empower users to create work groups, follow activity streams of connections and groups, and more.
- Improved Content Management: Enterprise Content Management features provide the ability to store, share, version and organize documents; integrate advanced workflows; and create dynamic content-rich websites. eXo Platform 3.5 introduces search engine optimization (SEO) features, improves Java Content Repository (JCR) performance, and enhances content explorer usability. Easier website authoring is facilitated by the new inline editing feature, making it possible to edit and publish content from the front-end in a single click.
- Embedded IDE: An integrated web development environment (IDE) is embedded in eXo Platform 3.5, which enables an IT team to develop, customize and extend the experience presented to a user in a platform-based engagement environment. Developers can create and refine elements on the fly and deploy with one-click ease.
- Integrated Sample Sites: The website samples included with eXo Platform 3.5 have been expanded to illustrate how developers can take advantage of many of the new features of eXo Platform 3.5 — from UI customization to the inclusion of rich content and improved site navigation.
- eXo Platform Gadget Pack: The gadget pack includes 15 new gadgets that provide easy access to a variety of adoption, collaboration, development, monitoring, social and other eXo Platform services. With easy access to the source code, developers can also use these gadgets as templates for building additional extensions and quickly become productive with the REST API of eXo Platform 3.5.
- Enterprise Portal Framework: Integrated portlets, user- and role-based views, security and single sign-on features (including integration with existing Active Directory and other LDAP systems) are supported.
Pricing and Availability
eXo Platform 3.5 is available today in two editions:
- eXo Platform 3.5 Enterprise Edition is a full-featured implementation of eXo Platform 3.5. Offered under a subscription model, it includes the support and services needed for deployment in an enterprise production environment. Features include support for native mobile applications and multi-tenant deployment as well as clustering, built-in web IDE and the eXo Platform Gadget Pack.
- eXo Platform 3.5 Community Edition is an open source package of the core features of eXo Platform 3.5. It is ideal for developers who do not require production support, mobile or cloud deployment options, or the extensibility and customization capabilities provided by the Gadget Pack or embedded IDE.
A 30-day trial version of eXo Platform 3.5 can be downloaded from http://budurl.com/3k6e.
For more information about eXo Platform 3.5, visit the website at http://budurl.com/jw5l.
Additional Online Resources
- Discover eXo Platform 3.5 in three minutes; http://budurl.com/epxx
- eXo's CTO gives a full-feature tour of eXo Platform 3.5; http://budurl.com/t5wn
- What's new in eXo Platform 3.5; http://budurl.com/bp7m
- eXo Platform 3.5 datasheet; http://budurl.com/q7v8
- eXo Platform 3.5 features table; http://budurl.com/92kt
For more information on eXo, please visit http://exoplatform.com. For additional perspectives, please visit and subscribe to eXo RSS blog feeds at http://blog.exoplatform.org/. Follow eXo on Twitter at @exoplatform.
eXo offers the first cloud-ready enterprise portal and user experience platform-as-a-service (UXPaaS). eXo Platform makes websites and applications faster to build and easier to deploy, and offers modern features such as content, collaboration, social and knowledge on a services-based architecture. eXo Cloud IDE offers a multi-tenant hosted development environment that enables the collaborative creation of applications based on HTML, Java, Groovy, Spring, PHP, Ruby and more — all of which can be deployed directly to a PaaS environment. The company has established technology leadership and proven value by their large European installed base and strategic partnership with Red Hat. eXo maintains U.S. headquarters in San Francisco, Calif. with global headquarters in France and offices in Tunisia, Ukraine and Vietnam. For news and updates from eXo, visit http://exoplatform.com, and follow http://blog.exoplatform.org/ and @exoplatform.
All brand names and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Tags: eXo, eXo Platform, social computing, social, social intranet, user experience, UXP, UXPaaS, User Experience Platform-as-a-Service, Platform-as-a-Service, PaaS, cloud, multi-tenant, OpenSocial, JCR, CMIS, wiki, collaboration, mobile, cloud-ready, portal, oss, open source
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,315
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,771
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,303
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,122
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,275
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 981
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,411
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jul. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,126
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,524
ReadyTalk has expanded the capabilities of the FoxDen collaboration platform announced late last year to include FoxDen Connect, an in-room video collaboration experience that launches with a single touch. With FoxDen Connect, users can now not only engage in HD video conferencing between iOS and Android mobile devices or Chrome browsers, but also set up in-person meeting rooms for video interactions. A host’s mobile device automatically recognizes the presence of a meeting room via beacon tech...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 555
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,189
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,661
On Dice.com, the number of job postings asking for skill in Amazon Web Services increased 76 percent between June 2015 and June 2016. Salesforce.com saw its own skill mentions increase 37 percent, while DevOps and Cloud rose 35 percent and 28 percent, respectively. Even as they expand their presence in the cloud, companies are also looking for tech professionals who can manage projects, crunch data, and figure out how to make systems run more autonomously. Mentions of ‘data science’ as a skill ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 633
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 30, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 799
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 739
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,427
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,703
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it ...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 570
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,731
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,156